Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Welp, X-Man had a nice long nap. He can't open his bedroom door, so I have his sisters listen and when they hear him stirring, they open the door. They opened his door today when I decided he needed to wake up, so he could go back to bed......later. He didn't appear. Further investigating showed that he had locked himself in the closet and fell asleep there. It seems like the thing nightmares are made of, but he appeared refreshed.

We found ourselves back at the dentist's office. I think that X-Man will begin to refer to it as the bank because all mommy does is give them money. I would curse the father figure for the pathetic wussy enamel he has gifted some of the children with, but I've got a bad ticker, of the hereditary kind, so I'll just keep my mouth shut.

Mac had cavities. Between his teeth. Apparently flossing only twice a week caught up with us quickly. He was nervous about everything, and when I explained to him that they would be giving him a shot, he began to cry. The worst kind of for a parent. The "I'm trying to keep it together and I'm opening my eyes really wide because I am going to be brave but one tear slipped out." Ugh. I promised that he could squeeze my hands as hard as he could. That was a mistake.

The boy was remarkable during his shots. He held perfectly still and broke my fingers. The nurse asked him to come back to show other six year olds how to get their shots. He said no.

He didn't get upset until the dentist started working away on his tooth. He gave muffled yelps and squeezed my hand and the tears rolled down his face. The dentist was perplexed as children don't tend to freak out AFTER they've been numbed. The dentist would try to talk to him and he would be too upset to talk except to say "you've put a hole my tooth." Well yes, and if you'll hold still she'll patch it up.

He reacted even more forcefully with the second tooth. He finally yelled "IT HURTS!" And this is when we learned that Mac processes Novocaine faster than anyone the dentist had ever seen before. She was nervous to give him more, as he's a little kid. I was certain if the boy said he hurt he did, and my hands seemed to agree. He was explaining it wasn't the noise of the drill, his tooth hurt when I observed that he was talking without drooling. And for as much Novocaine and he should have in his system, he shouldn't be able to talk at all.

So he got some more. It was the right choice. He was perfectly still and even let go of one of my hands. I had scoffed when the father figure said that Novocain always wore off too quickly, but he might have been on to something. By the time we got home, the boy was back to normal completely, he said his mouth didn't feel funny anymore.

Looking back at the last time he had fillings, back when he was four (thank for nothing no enamel father figure) he used nitrous oxide to help take the edge off. And yet, even with the nitrous, he had been.....not relaxed. Poor guy, I think I see why now.

Probably scarred him for life. Although he nonchalantly declined any and all prizes declaring them "For little kids."

No comments:

Post a Comment