Sunday, March 3, 2013


So two weeks ago, I wrote about how much I hated homeschooling. Tonight I’ve been thinking about how much I love homeschooling. Dizzy yet?

It’s not because people running schools go into lockdown over the lyrics to “Fresh Prince of Bel Aire.” I mean, I guess that’s part of it. I’m thinking that those not so bright crayons shouldn’t have an influential role in my children’s lives. There are countless stories of school administrators making absurd decisions about students, curriculum and discipline. And they’re way too loopy to impart anything on my children.  Or, I’m not about to allow them to attempt to impart anything on my children. But who am I kidding; I’m running a few fries short of a happy meal myself. On a side note, I don’t care how healthy Mickey D’s wants to go, a few apple slices short of a happy meal just doesn’t have the same ring to it.

So what’s with the sudden mood swing? Well, for starters, it isn’t so sudden. I fairly consistent in changing my mind depending on the day. It’s my prerogative as a female, a pregnant female I might add.

Mac is directly responsible for this alteration of my mood. Last week I was picking up a new math book for Baby, who had finished up her previous one. While doing perusing the books, I grabbed a couple of workbooks for Mac, beginning numbers and writing capital letters. I bought these Sunday, by Monday Mac had completed his numbers workbook and on Tuesday he completed his letters. I picked up new books for him that Monday, and he’s done with them already.

I love how excited he was that he was doing school. He sat still, which in and of itself was slightly miraculous, and kept working away. Yes, he did most of it lounging on the floor, but I wasn’t about to harsh his groove. And I love that sort of flexibility. I love watching my five year old plow through his kindergarten curriculum in a couple of days. Did I mention he reads as well? I’d like to take credit for that, mostly because I am the one who would access the website he uses to teach himself how to read. He’s moving at his own pace, which is erratic at best. He spent all week doing work and wants to do more tomorrow.

Now, this ain’t my first rodeo. I know that at any moment, he will melt down and remember that education is a violation of the Geneva Convention. Much like when I interrupt his Calvin and Hobbes reading to correct his pronunciation. Often if he is aware that I am listening and monitoring his efforts, they shut down. It’s all fun and games until Mom starts checking up on you.

So Monday comes way sooner than it should. Really, by 2013 we should have addressed the issue of reoccurring Mondays, but that’s another story. Maybe Mac will work, maybe he won’t. It’s all fine and good; he’s not supposed to start kindergarten until next September. He has plenty of time to love school and hate school. Much like his mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment